The time it takes for a person to gain muscle mass through anaerobic physical activity, such as weight lifting, is at least six months. However, depending on the sex and the physical and genetic characteristics of each person, muscle enlargement can be noticed in a few weeks or months.
It should be noted that the time period for the onset of hypertrophy can be even longer if the person does not exercise regularly and regularly, does not eat properly, and does not give the muscle enough rest.
How The Muscle Grows And What Changes Occur
For example, when doing anaerobic or resistance exercises such as weights or sit-ups, a sore and inflammation are generated at the level of the muscle cells, so the body activates a mechanism that involves certain hormones, which try to repair and reunite the muscle cells, when this process takes place, the muscle fibre increases, which increases its size.
The first changes in the body are usually:
- In the first and second month of training, the body adapts to physical activity. During this time, the individual feels more pain after exercise, and the cardiovascular system adapts to the effort as it gains more strength, endurance, and flexibility.
- After 3 months of regular exercise, the body begins to burn the accumulated fat and, during this period. However, there is no significant increase in muscle mass. A sharp decrease in the layer of fat on the skin can be observed. From here, it is easier to lose weight.
- Between 4 and 5 months after starting physical activity, there is a significant loss of fat and an increased release of endorphins in the body, which puts the individual in a better mood and more physically available.
- Only after 6 months of constant physical activity can a significant increase in muscle mass be observing.
- The muscles that take the longest to develop are the triceps, inner thighs, and calves. These never grow as fast as other muscles due to the type of fibres they have.
It is also essential to reference that the body reacts to muscle growth much more slowly in women because testosterone levels are lower than in men. This is one of the hormones that act on muscle hypertrophy.
How To Facilitate Muscle Mass Gain
Some strategies that can be adapted to facilitate mass muscle gain are:
- Include protein-rich foods with every meal. And after your workout, in that way, you’ll have enough protein in your body to help build muscle. Consult a list of foods rich in protein.
- Eat carbohydrate-rich foods along with protein after exercise, as it is necessary to replenish the sugar reserve in your muscles and repair damage caused during exercise.
- The intake of protein supplements and some supplements to promote muscle growth should do under the guidance of a professional. As it will depend on each person’s individual goals.
- Rest the muscle group you worked on during the day for 24 to 48 hours and then train a diverse muscle group the next day. For example, if you worked on your legs today. These muscles should rest for 48 hours to replenish and stimulate growth. The next day, you should work your arms, abs, or pecs.
- It is also important to sleep and rest for at least 8 hours. So that the body has time for hypertrophy to occur.
To improve exercises and gain muscle mass more quickly. It is important to go to both a nutritionist. And a personal trainer or physical education teacher to develop an individual plan. Both at the diet and physical activity level.